Area and production
- Statskog forests cover an area of 1 007 000 hectares. That equals 17% of Statskog’s total land holdings.
- Productive forest amount to 472 700 hectares, or about 47% of the forested areas of Statskog lands.
- Productive forests amount to 6% of the total productive forest area in Norway.
- Each year, 380 000 m3 of timber are cut in Staskog forests. That’s about 5% of the total logging of the country.
- Most of the logging in Statskog forests is done by entrepreneurs on contract, and logging is nearly completely mechanized.
The concerns of operations in Statskog forests are:
- Forestry to produce income, yet with concern for other priorities
- Hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities
- Preservation of biological and cultural historical values
- Many Statskog properties are wholly or partly protected according to the Nature Conservation Law
- Some 129 400 hectares of Statskog's areas are protected or proposed for protection This amounts to 13% of the total forest area
- Some 36 400 hectares of Statskog's productive forest areas are protected or proposed for protection This amounts to 8% of the total productive forest area
- Statskog complies with the environmental requirements in laws and regulations as well as with the forestry sector’s requirements of Norwegian PEFC* Forest Standard (www.pefcnorway.org) for sustainable use. (* Abbreviation for Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification)
- Statskog’s forestry is certified according to ISO 14001 by an independent certification bureau.